Tuesday, November 10, 2015

I Miss my Mom!

My family and friends are such an important part of my life. I have pictures of them all over my classroom. When I see their picture I can't help but smile. I wanted to give my students that same experience. I started looking on Pinterest for picture display ideas. I came across this picture:
Inspiration 
I instantly fell in love with it! I showed it to one of my girlfriends who teaches art. She came to my room and drew some picture frames for my students' pictures of their families. I had her add the quote: 
"Every family has a story. Welcome to ours."
Not only do I love how it looks in my room, I love how comforting it is to my students. 
Some students go look at their family when they are working on their writing and want to add detail to how their families look in their illustrations.
Some students look at their family when they don't feel good, are sad, or because they miss them.
Some students go and talk to their families about what they have been working on for the day...so cute!

I used to hear, "I miss my mommy" ALL the time. I put pictures up as they came in the students' folders. It didn't take long to fill up after the first child brought in his picture! The students would be beaming when they saw me hanging up their picture. The pictures sparked conversations which is surprisingly something I didn't think would happen. Once children had their families on the board I stopped hearing the 3 dreaded words...I miss my ______! 

This has become a must have in my room.

1 comment:

  1. Loved this idea when you did it and love the impact it has had on the class!

    ReplyDelete